Tuesday, August 5, 2014

ascertain, as certain

Ascertain or ascertain ( one word ) means to make sure of a fact or facts; to find out definitely--
Before we begin the investigation, we'll call the coroner, who will ascertain the cause of death.
Let's call them in, so we can ascertain the facts before we make a decision.

As certain or as certain ( two words ) means to some extent, measure or limit; equally ( as ) sure or free from doubt ( certain )--
I am as certain of the spot as if I had been there only yesterday.
There's not a doubt in my mind--I'm as certain of his capability as I am of my own.

Now that you know that, you can say--
"I won't feel as certain of his guilt as the rest of you are until I can ascertain that he had a motive for the crime."

Note--"a certain"  ( two words ) describes one ( a ) thing or idea that is definite or particular ( certain )--
She has a certain tone that lets you know she's annoyed.
"A certain smile, a certain face..."

No comments:

Post a Comment